At Knowle Primary School we believe that Art is a very important part of a child's creative development.
Art is the interpretation of, and response to, observations and experiences in visual form.
Students develop knowledge and skills in a wide range of art forms, including architecture,
ceramics, collage, computer generated/digital, design drawing, film, painting, photography,
print making, sculpture, and various crafts. Art works can be two-dimensional and threedimensional.
Students analyse their own art works and those of others, including works from
past and present contexts.
We believe that Arts Education is important because:
• Arts Education assists students to develop their intellectual, imaginative and expressive
potential. It allows children to be creative and to express their creativity as they create,
present and respond to art works.
• Arts experiences provide opportunities for children to communicate their learnings, ideas,
feelings and beliefs.
• Arts education is a medium for linking cultures and beliefs from the past, present and
future. It provides the means for children to learn about themselves and how they are
connected to the world.
• Arts education encourages us to look at the world differently. It provides opportunities to
interpret our world through critical reflection and social comment.
• Arts Education provides opportunities for individual expression and enhances selfconfidence.
• Arts Education provides a vehicle through which we can cater to a range of different
forms of intelligence and learning styles giving all children the opportunity to succeed
through expressing their own unique and valid styles of learning.
• Arts education is a vital tool in the overall language development of a child – particularly
the ESL child. It introduces them to new forms of language and symbols.
• Arts Education is enjoyable (for most children!)
• Arts education provides students with the necessary skills, understandings and
confidence to participate fully in the Arts throughout their lives.