Design and Technology is essentially a practical subject that allows children to think imaginatively and creatively and to become more autonomous and effective problem solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. Our aim is to provide children with a rich and enjoyable experience of design and technology, in which they can acquire and develop their own designing and making skills.
The objectives in teaching design and technology are:
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- To enable children to think and talk about how things work and to draw and model their ideas;
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques to make quality products, whilst following safe procedures;
- To use the internet to explore ideas and already made products;
- To explore attitudes towards the made world and how we live and work within in it;
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products, their manufacture and their contribution to our society;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making things.