At Knowle Primary School we are concerned with the development of the whole child. A child who can communicate effectively has every reason to be confident and to have a healthy self-esteem.
We believe that Literacy underpins our whole school curriculum. Therefore it is important that we develop the child’s ability to listen and communicate, to think, explore and organise whether orally or through the written word. We also encourage a child to read in order to be able to access all areas of the curriculum and reach their educational potential.
We need communication skills to equip us for everyday life and all teachers have a key role to play in supporting a child’s Literacy development.
Good language skills are also required for:
• The expression and understanding of one’s own needs, feelings, emotions and spirituality;
• Resolving misunderstandings and conflicts;
• Ascertaining (Discovering) information to make sense of the environment and infrastructure;
• The acquisition (Gaining) and sharing of knowledge, data and skills to improve humankind’s lifestyle through scientific, medical and technological development or for personal interest;
• The expression of creativity through writing, poetry, singing, composing music;
• Most jobs in the work place.
Literacy is not taught simply to prepare pupils for a qualification required by future employers - it is a language for life!
Why not reserve a book online?