Journey to the River Sea - Chapter 1:
Today we have looked at chapter 1 (which you can also listen to on the Youtube video below - chapter 1 goes from the start up to 19 mins 51 seconds).
You now have a series of questions to answer about the book so far to help you understand the characters, context and settings.
1. Back in 1910, not all girls were allowed to go to school like boys. Do you think it is important for everyone to be able to go to school? Why? Would you like to go to an all boy or all girl school?
2. Write three things you have found out about Maia (our main character):
3. Name some of the other characters in this chapter. Who are they? Write their name and what they do or who they are.
4. What sadly happened to Maia's parents?
5. What do people think about the Amazon at this point in the book?
6. Who is Maia going to live with in South America?
7. What do we know about Miss Minton so far? Who is she? What is her history? What is in her trunk? Write what you know about her.
8. Predict what you think might happen in this story...