Journey to the River Sea
The story so far…
· Maia, who is a clever and brave girl with a beautiful voice, lives at a girls' boarding school in London as her parents have died.
· She is told by her guardian that she will be travelling to live with distant relatives, the Carters, in Brazil.
· The Carter twins wrote her a letter welcoming her, and Maia decides that everything will be OK.
· Her friends and teachers see her off, accompanied by a stern governess, Miss Minton.
· Miss Minton tells Maia how she broke her umbrella beating a boy for mistreating a puppy.
· As they board the ship for Brazil, Maia is pleased to see that Miss Minton is taking a huge trunk full of books on the voyage.
Vocabulary from Chapter One
prized - valued
Guardian - a person who protected Maia's welfare in place of her parents
hamlet -a small settlement, smaller than a village
prow - the pointed front of a ship
devastating -causing severe shock and grief
consul - official responsible for looking after a country's citizens abroad
engaged - hired to do a job
governess - someone who taught children in their home
macaws - a type of parrot
vowed - promised
faltered - moved hesitantly
Dislocated - put out of place
dismissed – sacked
How is meaning enhanced through the author's choice of words and phrases?
Chapter Two – Independent Learning
Once you have read chapter 2…